- "This city fell apart. It's crazy out here. Every man for himself. Survival of the fittest. You gotta take what you need in this world."
- — Unknown Rioter
The Rioters are groups of common thugs and delinquents that just want to rob and even kill others to ensure their own survival. Many know they can kill but will use that as a final option, or they will pull the trigger first. They are one of the main enemy factions in Tom Clancy's The Division.
While Rioters do not have a set in stone hierarchy, each gang follows a certain leader. Such examples being Hutch or Five-O (possibly may just be a boss or a squad-like leader, basically tougher versions of peon Rioters) as well as a few more leaders. They usually carry bigger and heavier weapons than their lower ranking members and tend to have armor, with the weapon of choice for most of them seems to be light machine guns and marksman rifles.
Beyond the organized factions roam thugs and outlaws that now rampage through the city, rioting, looting, and assaulting any who come near them. Unafraid to wound or kill, they survive by preying on the weak. They roam in packs, hunting down easy targets and lashing out at authorities when they get the chance. Volatile and dangerous, they are a constant thorn in the side of the JTF and a steady drain on resources.
Known Rioter Gangs
- Lord of the 212's
- Wild Child's Gang
- Trio Crew - Daily HVT 3*
- Break Out Crew - Daily HVT 1*
- East Coast Crew - Daily HVT 1*
- Grenade Brothers - Weekly HVT 3*
- Thunder Riot - Daily HVT 3*
- Hurricane Riot - Daily HVT 3*
- Lightning Riot - Daily HVT 3*
- Blood Sisters - Weekly HVT 3*
- Pokerface's Gang - Weekly HVT 3*
- Molotov Riots
- Cinderella's Gang - Daily HVT 2*
- Castro's Gang - Weekly HVT 3*
- Switchback Riot - Daily HVT 3*
Relationship with other factions
Among themselves the rioters are not unified and are divided into gangs.
Rioters in general see the JTF as weak and take advantage of their struggling power by robbing and looting within JTF controlled territory or outright raiding and attack JTF positions.
Although skirmishes do occur they have been known to to engage in trading with Rikers, namely weapons.
Rioters outright fear the Last Man Battalion. A rioter report revealed when one of the rioter propose to loot at the UN building the other stated to avoid the area, describing the area as a "killing field" because of the LMB. The second rioter further describes them as "badass special forces type" with superior gear and equipment compared to the JTF, and are very ruthless, killing anyone on sight.
Any animosity they have with the other factions would have likely been resolved by the time of Resistance as they joined forces with remnants of the Cleaners, Rikers, and Last Man Battalion to combat the JTF and Division agents as well as to hunt down Aaron Keener.
Rioters Enemy Types
- Lurker - Standard enemies armed with PF45 pistols.
- Veteran/Elite Variants use SMG-9s, and have armor and more health than their Normal counterpart.
- Dare Devil - Enemies armed with tear gas grenades and 586 Magnums. They have a special ammo pack on the back of their backpack that can be shot, causing an explosion that will cause large amounts of damage, potentially killing them and anyone near, including the player.
- Veteran/Elite variants use M1911 pistols.
- Elite variants throw Molotov cocktails instead of tear gas grenades.
- Challenging Difficulty/HVT variants use Frag/Shock grenades and sawed off double barrel shotguns.
- Bruiser - Melee enemies armed with baseball bats. They have 2/3rds the amount of health and (if Veteran/Elite) armor compared to regular Rioters.
- Veteran/Elite variants have armor and more health than their Normal counterparts.
- Elite variants use a golf club and attack in between shorter intervals than their Veteran/Normal counterparts.
- Lookout - Snipers armed with M44 Carbine sniper rifles or Classic M1As (Veteran/Elite) and PF45 pistols for close-range. They have 2/3rds the amount of health and (if Veteran/Elite) armor compared to regular Rioters. Can be easily picked out of the crowd by their large poncho that they wear.
- Heavy Weapons - Armed with RPK-74 light machine guns, with 50% more health and armor compared to regular Rioters of the same rank. A red ammo box on their backpack can be shot to spray bullets everywhere, damaging anyone nearby and disrupting the Heavy Weapons user. Only Veteran and higher ranks appear to spawn.
- Sprayer - Female Rioter armed with T821's and frag grenades/incendiary grenades, typically seen in Challenging mode or the Dark Zone and sharing characteristics of the Dare Devil's (the explosive pack weak spot.) Distinguishable from their red hooded jackets, and frantic running as they spray their sub machine guns erratically at the player. Spawn exclusively as Elite and Boss rank encounters.
|Big P||Heavy Weapons||Hell's Kitchen (Bounty)||Lord of the 212 gang.|
|Poole||Special Lurker||Establish Base of Operations||Leader of the gang attacking the base of operation. Easy to ID due to wearing body armor and a gas mask and carrying a L86 LSW. Has Elite-level armor instead of Boss-level armor.|
|Wild Child||Heavy Weapons||Hudson Yards (Bounty)||Target for Bounty.|
|Michelle Mason||Sprayer||Chelsea (Bounty)||Target for Bounty.|
|Hutch||Heavy Weapons||Madison Field Hospital||Leader of group holding Dr. Kandel and her staff as hostage in Madison Square Garden|
|Ripper||Lurker (Unique)||Precinct Siege||Leader of group holding NYPD Precinct in Brooklyn. Easy to ID due to wearing a football helmet and carrying an AK-47. Has Elite-level armor instead of Boss-level armor.|
|Finch||Lookout||Lincoln Tunnel Checkpoint||Leader of group assaulting checkpoint at the Tunnel where Cpt. Benitez is located|
|Five-O||Lurker||Chelsea||Respawns 4 hours after death.|
|Fray||Dare Devil||Pennsylvania Plaza||Respawns 4 hours after death.|
|Strings||Heavy Weapons||Hell's Kitchen||Respawns 4 hours after death.|
|Cinderella||Sprayer||High-Value Target - Cinderella||Wears a blue hoodie, purple jacket, and green mask. Throws Molotovs that detonate on impact.||"A roaming crew of Rioters with molotovs have been wreaking havoc everywhere they go."|
|Jason Griffin||Dare Devil||High-Value Target - Trio Crew||One leader of the Trio Crew, Armed with AK-47 and incendiary grenades.||"A trio of Rioter grenadiers are reportedly competing to get the highest number of civilian kills."|
|Magnus Jensen||Dare Devil||High-Value Target - Trio Crew||One leader of the Trio Crew, Armed with M870 shotgun and EMP grenades.||"A trio of Rioter grenadiers are reportedly competing to get the highest number of civilian kills."|
|Brock Finster||Dare Devil||High-Value Target - Trio Crew||One leader of the Trio Crew, Armed with SMG-9 and shock grenades.||"A trio of Rioter grenadiers are reportedly competing to get the highest number of civilian kills."|
|"Doozer"||Sprayer||High-Value Target - Lightning Riot||Wears a green mask, purple jacket, and blue hoodie. Throws Molotov Cocktails, and throws two in succession.||"A lone rioter is attacking CERA checkpoints."|
|Mo||Sprayer||High-Value Target - Breakout Crew||"A Rioter and her crew are wandering the city, and have been robbing and killing civilians."|
|Stoney||Heavy Weapons||High-Value Target - East Coast Crew||"A Rioter is reportedly shooting people randomly for entertainment."|
|Archuleta||Dare Devil||High-Value Target - Thunder Riot||Armed with a UMP-45.||"An angry rioter with a large supply of explosives is attacking JTF patrols."|
|"Slappy"||Dare Devil||High-Value Target - Hurricane Riot||"Rioters are trying to break into secure buildings with heavy explosives, numerous civilians have been killed by debris."|
|Jones||Dare Devil||High-Value Target - Hurricane Riot||"Rioters are trying to break into secure buildings with heavy explosives, numerous civilians have been killed by debris."|
|Sunshine||Dare Devil||High-Value Target - Grenade Brothers||One leader of the Grenade Brothers. Armed with AK-47 and Incendiary Grenades.||"A group of grenadiers is reportedly setting off grenades randomly around town."|
|Digger||Dare Devil||High-Value Target - Grenade Brothers||One leader of the Grenade Brothers. Armed with SMG-9 and Shock Grenades.||"A group of grenadiers is reportedly setting off grenades randomly around town."|
|Ready||Dare Devil||High-Value Target - Grenade Brothers||One leader of the Grenade Brothers. Armed with M870 shotgun and EMP Grenades.||"A group of grenadiers is reportedly setting off grenades randomly around town."|
|Castro||Dare Devil||High-Value Target - Castro||Wears a yellow jacket with a green mask. Armed with a Police UMP-45.||"Rioters have been rampaging with molotovs and terrifying civilians."|
|Pokerface||Sprayer||High-Value Target - Pokerface||Wears a blue hoodie, purple jacket, and green mask. Uses Molotov Cocktails.||”A sadistic Rioter roams the streets looking for payback - from anyone unlucky enough to run into them.”|
|"Switchback"||Sprayer||High-Value Target - Switchback Riot||Wears a blue hoodie, purple jacket, and green mask. Uses Molotov Cocktail grenades.||"A rioter is ambushing and robbing lone civilians."|
|Greenback||Sprayer||High-Risk Target - Blood Sisters||Wears a blue hoodie, purple jacket, and green mask. One leader of the Blood Sisters.||”Two angry Rioters are rumored to be having a shooting contest - with civilians.”|
|Cleopatra||Sprayer||High-Risk Target - Blood Sisters||One leader of the Blood Sisters.||”Two angry Rioters are rumored to be having a shooting contest - with civilians.”|
- We got a trespasser
- He is in the entrance
- Come on! Bite him some more!
- No one likes you!
- Get out of here!
- Just give up!
- Oh great!
- Damn shoot!
- What the fuck?!!
- Cover me! Reloading!
- Need more ammo! - Reloading
- Finish him off! - Player at low health
- Just a few more shots! - Player at low health
- Ah shit they got him! - Rioter dies
- I think he's dead man! - Rioter dies
- They got Alex! - Rioter dies
- He's dead man - Rioter dies
- Looks like you got some gas - Throwing grenade
- Let me see how you like this! - Throwing grenade
- Breathe deep! - Throwing grenade
- Take a deep deep breath! - Throwing grenade
- Incoming! - Throwing grenade
- Have a little taste of this! - Throwing grenade
- Watch it! This thing's hot! - Throwing grenade
- Hey! Catch! - Throwing grenade
- Want a little drink!? - Throwing grenade
- Damn it! No! - Rioter dies
- Oh my God! - Rioter dies
- Oh man! I-I think he's dead! - Rioter dies
"Slim pickings -Rioter searching a dead body Gotta be something better than this. - Rioter searching a dead body
- Eat this! - Rioter attacking
- I see you motherfucka! - Spotting player
- Fuck this!
- You're gonna fucking pay for that! - Rioter dies
- What the fuck is taking so long!?
- Are you fucking kidding me
- Come on out motherfucker! - Player in cover
- Fuckers, Gonna die!
- This is not ok!
- Alright, I got this
- "Not quite done here."
- — Rioter looting a body
- "Bringing New York to its knees."
- — When a Rioter is idle
- "They owe us"
- — When a Rioter is idle.
- "Just a bunch of useless coins "
- — Looting body.
- "Slim pickings"
- — When a Rioter is looting a body.
- "Make them pay!"
- — When a Rioter is engaged in combat.
- "That's what I'm talking about."
- — A Rioter looting a dead corpse
- "That's what I'm talking about"
- — Looting body.
- "You deserve to die"
- — During combat
- "We got more."
- — Seeing the player if already in fight
- "Oh crap their killing us."
- — Losses or losing a battle.
- "Get out of here."
- — Seeing civilian.
- — Charges at you.
- "Get that dog"
- — Sees dog.
- "They just left us here to die."
- — Idle
- "Finish them off"
- — During combat